ROGER FEDERER has confirmed his return to Wimbledon after posting a picture of himself on Twitter at the All England Club.
Federer will begin his title defence on Monday at 1pm against an as-yet unknown opponent - the draw will take place on Friday at 10am.
But the Swiss has been installed as the No 1 seed ensuring that he should be treated to an easier path to the second week, avoiding other seeded players until the third round at least.
However, with no tournament in his schedule in the week preceding the Grand Slam, Federer has headed to London early to reacquaint himself with the familiar surroundings of Wimbeldon, where he has triumphed eight times.
But other than practice, the 36-year-old does not have many grand plans for the week.
"I will have a quiet week before Wimbledon with not many things going on, which is great. I just hope to stay injury free and healthy," Federer said earlier this month.
By contrast, Federer's main rival at Wimbledon Rafael Nadal will spend this week playing on grass at the Hurlingham Club, a few miles from the famous courts in south west London.
The Spaniard had been due to play at Queen's last week but pulled out on medical advice to rest his body after a gruelling clay-court season.
Instead, he chose to play Matthew Ebden and Lucas Pouille in two exhibition matches at the Aspall Tennis Classic.
"It’s always great to play in front of UK fans so I can’t wait to return,” said Nadal.
The world No 1 will then have three days of rest before beginning his Wimbledon campaign on Tuesday July 3.