STANFORD, Calif.—The University of Hawai'i women's tennis team fell to No. 17 Michigan in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday morning, 4-0.
The Wolverines won the doubles point to start the match, then rolled by capturing singles wins on the No's 2, 4, and 5 courts at the Taube Family Tennis Center in Stanford, Calif.
On the No. 1 court in doubles, Kate Fahey and Brienne Minor swept UH's Nikola Dolakova and Klara Pribylova, 6-0 to start the match.
On court No. 2, Alyvia Jones and Mira Ruder-Hook just edged out UH'sPetra Melounova and Roxanne Resma by a break, 6-4 to earn the doubles point. On the No. 3 court, Hawai'i's Alzbeta Houbova and Marina Hruba held a 6-5 lead vs. Michigan's Kara Hall and Chiara Lommer, 6-5 when the point was captured.
In singles, the Wolverines cruised to a 4-0 win over the Rainbow Wahine. At No. 2, Michigan's Minor started things with a 6-2, 6-2 win over UH's Dolakova. The Wolverines then went up 3-0 after Jones held off Pribylova by one break in the first set before rolling in the second to win, 6-4, 6-0.
Michigan then clinched the match at No. 5 as Ruder-Hook blanked UH's Michelle Pits in the first set, then doubled her up in the second set to seal the win, 6-0, 6-3. It marked Michigan's ninth sweep of the season.
UH's No. 1, 73rd-ranked Petra Melounova fell in the first set to No. 29 Kate Fahey. But Melounova battled her way back to even the match at a set apiece when the match ended, 6-1, 4-6.
At No. 3, Michigan's 97th-ranked Lommer was leading UH's Hruba, 6-2, 4-1. And, at No. 6, UH's Resma was a break up in the second set when play came to a halt. Her opponent, Bella Lorenzini won the first set, 6-4 but Resma was looking to even their match as she led in the second set, 4-2 when the match ended on Court 5.
It was the final two matches for two Rainbow Wahine seniors—Marina Hruba and Klara Pribylova. Hawai'i finishes the season with a 13-7 overall record. UH's Melounova is still in action as she will be competing in her second-straight NCAA Women's Tennis Singles championships on May 17 at Wake Forest.
No. 17 Michigan 4, Hawai'i 0
NCAA First Round
Stanford, Calif. (Taube Family Tennis Center)
1) Fahey/Minor (MICH) d. Dolakova/Pribylova (HAW) 6-0
2) Jones/Ruder-Hook (MICH) d. Melounova/Resma (HAW) 6-4
3) Alzbeta Houbova/Hruba (HAW) led Hall/Lommer (MICH) 6-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1) No. 29 Kate Fahey (MICH) vs. No. 73 Petra Melounova (HAW) 6-1, 4-6, unfinished
2) Brienne Minor (MICH) d. Nikola Dolakova (HAW) 6-2, 6-2
3) No. 97 Chiara Lommer (MICH) led Marina Hruba (HAW) 6-2, 4-1
4) Alyvia Jones (MICH) d. Klara Pribylova (HAW) 6-4, 6-0
5) Mira Ruder-Hook (MICH) d. Michelle Pits (HAW) 6-0, 6-3
6) Bella Lorenzini (MICH) led Roxanne Resma (HAW) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5